Most low-carb breads use eggs, and the only vegan ones I have come across all contain vital wheat gluten. I don’t mind consuming gluten every now and then, but I like having some paleo vegan options available as well.
This recipe is a godsend. The texture of these breadbuns are amazing! The only issue with these in my opinion is that the agar gives a bit of an aftertaste, but you can substitute the agar eggs for flax eggs instead, which would also decrease the carbcount significantly.
Little tip: if the bread seem to be puffing up a lot in the oven, but they deflate and end up being empty inside when they cool down, try reducing the baking powder a little bit.
- 1 cup of almond flour (110 g)
- 4 tbsp psyllium husk powder (30 g)
- 2 tbsp agar flakes OR flax seeds ground + 6 tbsp boiling water (can be substituted for 3 egg whites if not vegan)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1,5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups of boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Mix the agar with the 6 tbsp water. If it doesn’t dissolve, put in the microwave for a minute until it is well dissolved and very thick.
- Mix all the dry ingredients. Put them in a food processor and add the agar. Mix until you have a crumbly dough.
- Add 1,5 cups of water and mix. Add the rest of the water as needed to get a sticky and firm dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and form little balls with them.
- Put in a baking tray and bake for 40 minutes or until when you tap the bottom, they sound hollow.
- Nutritional information, per bun
- 66 kCal
- 2.5 g net carbs, 4 g fiber, 6.5 g total carbs
- 1.9 g fat
- 7.7 g protein