Lately I have been experimenting with high-fat-low-carb cooking for my father, who is giving a go at the ketogenic diet. He has been doing pretty good, but was always complaining about not having bread to dip the sauce in... So I perfected an easy, microwave recipe for anybody in a similar situation in which they cannot eat bread: keto, paleo or gluten-free, you will like this! The flavor of flax is quite strong, but by using extra virgin olive oil, the final result tastes mostly like olive oil, and is very good with cheese, guacamole, egg, or even jam!
Just remember - when it comes to flax meal, it´s best if you grind it at home, so it doesn´t lose nutrients :)
- 100 mL of flax seeds, ground
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
1. Blend the egg, oil and water until foamy. In a separate bowl, mix the flax meal, baking powder and salt.
2. Incorporate the liquids into the flax mixture and mix well; let it rest for 5-10 min. It will look a bit runny in the beginning but the texture will thicken after it rests.
3. Divide into three separate molds; I use silicone muffin molds for this. You can sprinkle some sesame seeds on the top if you want.
4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes or until it sets.
* **Nutrition info**, _per bun (makes 3)_
- 107 kcal total calories
- 7 g fat
- 0.8 g net carbs
- 4.72 g protein