These are many different sauces to dip your momos in; however, the one I liked most is the sesame achar, that is the one I had more often in Nepal.
This is the version I have found to be closest to what I remembered. I do hope you enjoy it!
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 onion
- 1/2 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 red chillies, desseded or whole (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp sugar or stevia to taste
- Salt, black pepper
- Optional: 1 tsp tomato paste
- Optional: 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- In a casserole, warm up some oil with the sesame seeds.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli and brown for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of ingredients except the coriander and some water to cover. Turn the heat down to low. Don’t add too much water or the final result will be too runny.
- Simmer until the vegetables are broken down.
- Take out the peel of the tomatoes and then process everything along with the coriander to get a smooth mixture. You can run it through a sieve it you want it to be smoother.