Keto/Paleo Yeast Bread
I love the smell of freshly baked bread. But most low carb breads don’t use yeast, so the smell and texture is not quite as good as traditional bread. That is why I was so psyched when this recipe worked out! The smell while it bakes is amazing, and the texture is perfect for toast or sandwich. Definitely worth a try!
If you only have active dry yeast in hand, remember to use a little bit more (1.5 tbsp) and dissolve it first in a little warm water and let it activate for 5-10 minutes.
If you like my recipes, don’t forget to subscribe, which will also give you access to the Keto Recipe Recommender.
- 8 tbsp flax seed meal (ground flax seeds)
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp psyllium husk powder
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum OR 1 tbsp psyllium husk powder
- 1 tbsp instant dry yeast
- 8 egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 3-4 tbsp mixed seeds
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl: flax meal, coconut flour, salt, baking powder, psyllium husk, xantham gum and active dry yeast. Mix well to make sure there are no lumps.
- Mix the eggs and eggwhites in a bowl. Then mix the dry and the wet ingredients for 2-3 minutes; you should end up with a dense and sticky mud-like consistency. Then, mix in the seeds.
- Transfer to a previously greased baking tin and let it rise n a warm place for 1 to 2.5 hours (the longer it rises, the fluffier it will be!)
- Warm up the oven to 250 C.
- Once the oven is hot, put the bread inside and bake at 250C for about 10 minutes, and then at 180C for another 35-40 minutes. You can insert a toothpick to make sure it is cooked through.
- Let it cool down a little in the baking tin and, when cold enough to handle, transfer to a wire rack to cool down all the way before cutting into it.
- Nutritional information, per slice (makes 16)
- 68 kCal
- 4 g total carbs
- 1.1 g net carbs
- 2.9 g fiber
- 4.9 g protein
- 3.9 g fat